Here are the weapons at my disposal. An HVLP spray gun, Behlen String instrument lacquer, and sone transtint dyes.

Spraystuff1

An HVLP gun is useless without a compresser. I have a 20 gal 150 PSI compresser. Good to go, lets start spraying!

Spraystuff2

Here we are after two coats of clear lacquer. Its really bringing out the figure in the maple top. The slight amber hue is due to the honey amber dye I applied directly to the top, and then sanded it off once dry. It causes the figure to pop more when the lacquer is sprayed over it…

Wash2

Another view

Wash3

OK. Another day gone by and I have all the color coats completed…Heres 5 views to show all sides.

All thats left is a bunch of coats of clear. Then it sits for a month to harden. Then more hard work. Wet sand the entire guitar through several grits of increasing fineness up to about 2400 grit to level off all the orange peel, then buff to a mirror shine..View 1

Color9 Color8 Color6 Color4 Color5

So here is the end of the build. All thats left is to wet sand and buff to a high gloss, and then bolt on all the hardware again, and then rock out 🙂

Sadly I have to wait a month for the lacquer to harden before I can sand and buff 🙂Whole-bg

Well, here it is. I waited full month for the lacquer to harden, and after a day of wet sanding and buffing, and another day of attaching tuners, soldering in pots and pickups, etc., we have finally arrived at the end of the adventure. And yes, I did use an actual gibson “Standard” truss rod cover. I doubt they will sue me for it! I think if you compare this shot to the sample I used in the beginning I pretty much hit the nail on the head. Aside from the differences in hardware (which were planned and mentioned above) and differences in the figure of the top wood (which was predictable as no two pieces of figured wood are alike) we came damn close to our example. I’m well pleased and feeling pretty smug :).

Lemon4 Face2 Back1 Axes3

lp12-10